Monday, September 22, 2008

Miscellany

Another post not specifically about Quakerism, and some things not solely about class, but things I thought might interest those who read this blog.

1. A blog post about white privilege as it's revealed in the presidential race. I found it to be amazing and well-written. And sometimes, he's also talking about class (and sometimes he's not seeing his own class biases). And how class and race are perceived in this country as opposing forces when they're not.

2. A follow-up blog post about white privilege by the same writer. Also well-written and insightful. I especially like this bit as it applies to the conversation on class among Friends:

Talking about white privilege [or any privilege] is about responsibility, not guilt [or shame for that matter].

3. Finally, a Quaker going to a Quaker college talking about class and race, but not to or about Quakers (intentionally, anyway). Check her out. She's smart and a good writer.

4 comments:

Liz Opp said...

Great links, hun! And Tim Wise's first article about white privilege is a nice complement to the humorous and similarly slanted NYTimes article about what advice the West Wing's presidential character Jed Bartlet might say to Barack Obama.

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

Sarah said...

Thanks for the promotion, Jeanne! :)
And the other links are really worthwhile as well!

Anonymous said...

http://www.uuworld.org/ideas/articles/36467.shtml

It's not just us. I blogged about this, too. Not sure if you already saw it, though, this semester has been hectic and I haven't been keeping up.

Jeanne said...

kibbles, thanks for sharing that link--I'd blogged about it before too. Another blogger sent it to me then also.

I haven't been blogging much lately, though I have a couple of posts brewing and one should be up soon.

I hope that your hectic semester dies down soon.