Monday, January 2, 2012

Things That Have Never Been

It's been ten months since I've written. I've been back to meeting maybe once since the last time I wrote, which is part of the reason I haven't had anything to write. Most of my focus has been on a local anti-racism conference and an anti-marriage amendment to the Minnesota State constitution. And my family. And many other places where I feel like my gifts and talents are valued and sought after.

A few months ago, friend Su Penn wrote a piece about her leaving her Meeting and it still speaks to me and my condition. I've been hanging onto my Meeting because it's been all I've had, spiritually, all I've known for the better part of the last twenty years. It saved my life and helped me meet the love of my life. I was hoping to find another spiritual community where I felt at home before I left the only real spiritual home I had.

But I won't wait any longer; I need to make room in my life for what is possible. It's time to lay down my membership in the Religious Society of Friends. As such, it's time to lay down this blog for good.

I don't leave Friends bitter or angry, but instead like Su, feel lighter, freer, full of possibility. Maybe you'll see me in worship from time to time.

I'm on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ sometimes. I have a new blog that's just about social class. In case you want to stay in touch.

I'll leave you with these words, from Ranier Maria Rilke.

And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been.

7 comments:

Martin Kelley said...

If I weren't so good at self-censoring I'd reply "ah shit." Well even if you're not a Friend, I have a feeling you won't be a stranger.

Jeanne said...

Thanks, Martin. No, I won't be a stranger, that's for sure. Thanks for your encouragement and affirmation and challenge. Leaving something has never been harder for me.

Pat Pope said...

Good for you. While I understand that you've been part of Quakerism for so long, believe me, there are other communities of faith out there in which I think you will feel at home and you can always keep Quaker principles in your heart.

I wish more people would realize this because I think often people stay where they are for more sentimental reasons and I think our faith deserves better than that.

Pat Pope said...

Good for you. While I understand that you've been part of Quakerism for so long, believe me, there are other communities of faith out there in which I think you will feel at home and you can always keep Quaker principles in your heart.

I wish more people would realize this because I think often people stay where they are for more sentimental reasons and I think our faith deserves better than that

Robin M. said...

I'm sorry to hear this. Even when I felt like this wasn't a discussion I wanted to participate in on the internet, it has been valuable in my own thinking and in the life of the Religious Society of Friends.

I hope you find a new spiritual community that better fits your values and gifts. I hope that this separation doesn't become a source of too much friction in your marriage. I hope you will be happy. And I hope our paths will cross again.

Tabatha Atwood said...

I just had an experience that I needed to share. I am unemployed- and I have an interview in another city quite far from my home in a couple of weeks. So I called the local UU church and asked if they had a hospitality committee or something- someone that might spend some time with me to tell me about the town- maybe even put me up- i would pay them or the church but i would be safe and secure and less likely to blow my interview because I was alone in a strange hotel. I have been a UU member on and off for many years. I received a call from the church saying that they had no such committeee and giving me the numbers of the public libraru and the ywca. They did not ask me anything- what kind of job? was I a UU? sorry we can't help but hope you drop in for worship and coffee hour when you are in town- we can give you some pointers then... I have been in shock for the last few hours- this is all too typical of elite liberal religion in America today- cold- smug-patronizing- I doubt you will find a church that you will feel comfortable. I have not.

Jnana Hodson said...

At one point, during struggles with the meeting where I had relocated, I found myself sojourning with Mennonites. Not only did I learn to sing four-part harmony and my way through Scripture, I found my Quaker identity and practice deepened.
Be faithful to the Guide through your journey.